Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Flight

(Mon Feb. 16th / Tues Feb. 17th)



My flight left at 7:57 a.m. on Monday the 16th so that means I had to wake up at 3:30 a.m. to finish packing, pick up grandma, and arrive to the airport with enough time to go through security and not miss my flight. My first flight was to Chicago, and once I was there I would meet Nikita so we could fly over to China together. I arrived to Chicago a little earlier then planned so I decided to surprise Nikita at her gate. It felt like I was waiting there FOREVER because her flight was delayed since Obama was going to be flying in to Chicago. But it was worth it to be finally re-united with my best friend. When we got to gate C everyone looked like they were from China, so the feeling of being a minority began. On our way to our seat the greatest thing that could ever happen to a college girl on a 12 hour plane ride happened……….we were sitting right in the middle of the USA Hockey Team! haha Also on the plane there are TV’s attached to the back of the seat in front of you. They had a channel where it showed you what country you were flying over. We flew right over Antarctica! I thought that was pretty neat.


We made it to China and it was snowing, so much for trying to get away from the cold! The next thing to do was find Ike (the other person that went through this program) and a representative from The Education Abroad Network. Well we did and his name is Matt. Matt looks Chinese but he is actually from Australia. We followed him to get a taxi but Nikita’s and my luggage would not fit in one, so we had to get two taxis. I rode with Ike and Nikita rode with Matt. The ride to the hotel was CRAZY! I thought I was going to die about 20 times. They have traffic rules but apparently they are not very strict. Cars are honking all the time and they will drive very close to you to try and pass. That night we got some grub and then hit the sack because we were VERY tired from the plane ride.

Lots of lovin, Brooke Perillo

1 comment:

  1. Traffic was like that in India... you'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete